What is a PIN?
A PIN or Personal Identification Number is a secret code that is either assigned to or selected by Cardmembers to prove they are the rightful owner of the payment card. PINs for Malaysian cards have six (6) digits. Your PIN must always be kept a secret and never noted down.
Why is PIN safer than signing?
PIN usage can help protect against fraud due to lost or stolen cards, because the card and the PIN are required to make a payment. This is why you must always keep your PIN a secret.
Why do I need to receive a new card using PIN?
You will be issued a new PIN-enabled Card only if your Card is a signature Card, as the signature Card does not support PIN for payment. We will be replacing your signature Cards in phases from now until end of year 2016.
How do I obtain a PIN?
- Credit Cardholders
- If you have forgotten your PIN and require a PIN urgently, please call 03-5516 9988 for a temporary PIN to be sent via PIN mailer.
- Debit Cardholders
- When you replace your signature Card with PIN-enabled Card at any Alliance Bank branches, you will receive a temporary PIN.
Can I change my PIN?
Yes. You are required to change the temporary PIN you received to your preferred 6-digit PIN at any Alliance Bank ATMs.
Can I continue using my signature Card after I have received/replaced my PIN-enabled Card?
No. All card issuers in Malaysia are required by Bank Negara Malaysia (BNM) to replace signature Card to PIN-enabled Card for all Cardmembers.
- Credit Card – Your signature Card will be blocked ninety (90) days after the issuance of your PIN-enabled Card.
- Debit Card – Your signature Card will be blocked once you activate your PIN-enabled Card.
Is the PIN I use for making purchases the same as the PIN used at ATMs?
Yes. Each card will have only one PIN that can be used for both cash withdrawals at ATMs and purchases at point-of-sale (POS) terminal.
What happens if I enter the wrong PIN?
You will be allowed several attempts before your PIN is blocked.This is to protect you against the possibility of a third party using your Card. If your PIN is blocked, call us at 03-5516 9988 to request for a new temporary PIN.
What happens if I forget my PIN?
- Before 1 July 2017, signature will still be allowed when using your PIN-enabled Card if you cannot remember your PIN while transacting at an attended POS terminal.The retailer can assist you to complete your transaction using signature.
- After 1 July 2017, you will no longer be allowed to use your Card at any POS terminal in Malaysia if you do not know your PIN.
- As a security measure, you must enter your 6-digit PIN at automated fuel dispensers (self-service pump) and other unattended terminals if you are prompted for PIN, even prior to 1 July 2017. If you forget your PIN, you will not be able to use your Card at these unattended POS terminals.
- Follow the instructions below to obtain a temporary PIN:
Credit Card - Call us at 03-5516 9988 for the request and a temporary PIN mailer will be sent to you within 3 working days.
Debit Card - Visit to any Alliance Bank branches to request a new Card and PIN.
Can I still use my PIN-enabled Card for contactless transactions?
Yes. If your contactless card is a PIN-enabled Card, the POS terminal will prompt for PIN after your Card is tapped on the contactless reader for transaction amount above RM250. However, low-value contactless transactions amount of RM250 and below do not require PIN or signature in Malaysia.
How will I know when a PIN is required?
All you need to do is follow the prompts on the POS terminal.The POS terminal will determine if PIN is required and if so, it will then ask for a PIN.
What happens if I use my PIN-enabled Card at a POS terminal that does not support PIN?
In this case, the POS terminal will process your PIN-enabled Card without prompting for PIN, and your signature will need to be verified.
Will PIN be used to make card transactions through the Internet or over the telephone?
No. PIN will not be prompted when making payment transactions through the internet or over the telephone. The PIN that you use at POS terminals or ATMs must never be entered into the Internet or given over the telephone.
Do I need to enter a PIN whenever I use my PIN-enabled Card in Malaysia?
No, not all transactions at point-of-sale will need PIN:
- Contactless transaction do not require PIN for transaction amount of RM250 and below.
- Transactions performed at a POS terminal that does not support PIN for payment will still require signature prior to 1 July 2017.
Do I need to enter a PIN whenever I use my PIN-enabled Card at a self-service kiosk or terminal in Malaysia?
If the self-service kiosk or terminal supports PIN, it will prompt you to enter a PIN when you insert your card into the terminal. If the terminal asks you for a PIN, you need to know your PIN and you must enter the PIN to complete the transaction. If you do not know your PIN, or if you do not have a PIN-enabled card, you will not be able to use your card at a self-service kiosk or terminal that supports PIN. An example of a self-service terminal is the payment terminal in an outdoor self-service pump at a petrol station. Although it is possible to sign at an attended terminal if you do not know your PIN until 1 July 2017, this is not possible at a self-service terminal because it is not attended i.e. there is no cashier or operator to verify the signature. This is why you must always enter your PIN if the self-service terminal supports PIN. If you do not know your PIN, or if you do not have a PIN enabled card at an outdoor self-service pump at a petrol station, you may proceed indoors to the shop to pay at the attended terminal with signature.”
Will my PIN be accepted for payment in all overseas market?
Although the PIN standard for Cards in Malaysia is 6-digit, the standard in many overseas markets is 4-digit PINs. It is possible that you may encounter problem using your Card at an overseas terminal if the terminal restricts PIN entry to 4 digits. However, such incidences should be limited. Should your 6-digit PIN entry be rejected, you should:
- Request the retailer to bypass the PIN entry and sign to make a payment.
- If this is not possible, or the retailer refuses to allow signature, please use a different payment method.
Will I have to enter a PIN when I use my PIN-enabled card overseas?
Not all POS terminals overseas support PIN. Where an overseas POS terminal does not support PIN, you will need to sign when making payment. Some countries may require transactions to be completed with a PIN instead of a signature, hence there is a risk of your PIN-enabled Card being rejected if you do no enter a PIN when prompted. So if you will be travelling overseas, ensure you have a PIN for your Card before leaving Malaysia.
How do I keep my PIN secure?
It is very important that you keep your PIN secret so that your Card is protected against lost and stolen card fraud. Ensure your PIN is not easy to guess by avoiding numbers that can be associated with you such as significant personal dates (e.g.your birthday or anniversary), telephone number or driver’s licence number. Other measures to keep your PIN safe include:
- Destroy any notification of the PIN and of any card security details;
- Do not write down the PIN or the card security details nor disclose them to anyone else including the police and/or our staff;
- Do not allow another person to see your PIN when you enter it or it is displayed;
- Do not keep your PIN in a form that can be readily identified as a PIN;
- Do not disclose your PIN to any other person (including persons in apparent authority, family members or spouse);
- Do not negligently or recklessly disclose your PIN;
- Contact us immediately at 03-5516 9988 if you become aware that your PIN has become known to someone else; and
- Ensure any supplementary Cardmembers (if any) keep their PIN(s) secure.
What do I do if my PIN is compromised?
Proceed to the any Alliance Bank ATMs to change your PIN immediately.
For more info, please visit www.pinandpay.com.my